Thursday, June 26, 2008

SLRS update

Its a while since I posted from our local Micro-Minsmere. I've had a few quick trips down but little to report. This evening there was good news, however. Three fluffy bundles were pecking there way round the muddy fringes - I think the first Lapwings to breed in the valley for a while. Otherwise there was a mass of birds - I've counted 37 Mallard here, mainly young, and family parties of Canada Goose and Coot. Today there were lots of Swallows and House Martins over the lagoon, and a couple of Pied Wagtails. Reed Buntings were calling, and overhead a couple of LBBG's drifted over and two Goldfinches flew past.

Previous visits have had Whitethroats, including a Lesser, and a variety of other common summer birds. So its seems to have been a successful breeding season for the pond and there's no shortage of birds in the surrounding countryside.

The water-level is beginning to drop. Some muddy fringes are appearing so fingers-crossed for some waders dropping in shortly.

No comments:

Great Grey Shrike

Nine years ago when I gave up working I went to see a Great Grey Shrike at Grimes Graves. It was easy to find, showed well, all round very ...