Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Who turned the lights on?

The strap on my old telescope case has broken, so obviously I needed a new scope. On the advice of Johnny Mac at In-Focus in Denby Dale, I got a Kowa 883, with case and tripod in an excellent deal.

It arrived today, so I thought it prudent to check immediately that it worked. Whilst Roy Cropper was fretting about his bats I was peering through the gloom at the ducks on the scrape. Except when I looked through the scope the sun was shining brightly and the ducks were visible in pin-point detail. Eyelids, feathering, the lot. A super scope, even with a strong image at 60x in the gloom.

The list was the standard one: Male Garganey asleep at the N end, a pair of Wigeon grazing on the far side, Gadwall, Mallard, Moorhen, Coot, a Lapwing, and by way of variation a male Shoveler - the first for me since January - and a pair of Muntjac on the far side. Some Swallows over the scrape too.

No comments:

Lindisfarne and Musselburgh

Lindisfarne : Circumstance gave me a couple of days based in Edinburgh. Lindisfarne was just an hour and a half away. As a teenager I had a ...