Saturday, March 22, 2008

Gadwall Madness!

Not much birding recently - just a couple of trips to SLRS, which gets progressively more flooded by the week.

The first trip on the 15th had a couple of new ticks for my site list; an impressive 9 Gadwall, 5 Teal and a Greylag Goose over. Otherwise, the first singing Chiffchaff of the year, 6 imm Mute Swan over NE, 4 Lapwing, a Stonechat - presumably moving through, and more usual stuff.

Good Friday an amazing 22 Gadwall on the pond, plus a White-Cheeked Pintail - yes, I’m having that on my site list too. A flock of c30 Stock Dove moving in close rapid formation round the Chaff-dump field, like a flock of waders. The Jackdaws were similarly jumpy; I feel I missed a raptor. Still a few Fieldfares and Redwings, and a Treecreeper too - new for my site list which stands at 53 this year.

I’ve put a site guide to SLRS on DipperWorld. If its confusing, incomplete, or inaccurate please let me know and I’ll update it accordingly.

1 comment:

littlestint6 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Great Grey Shrike

Nine years ago when I gave up working I went to see a Great Grey Shrike at Grimes Graves. It was easy to find, showed well, all round very ...