Tuesday, February 05, 2008

After The Lord Mayor’s Show

Just a couple of trips out following the Sheppey extravaganza. Saturday I went round Allen’s Green in the freezing cold. A couple of flocks of Thrushes totalling over 200, with about 20 Redwings and the rest Fieldfares. Two flocks of Golden Plover totalling about 170 birds. Then, in one of those spooky moments, just as I was thinking this was ideal conditions for Merlin, a Merlin turned up. A few miles away. Seen by Graeme.

Then Monday back to SLRS in the late afternoon. Generally very quiet now, trying to put a decent list together was hard work. A Little Grebe on the river was a first for me at this site. A pair of Stonechats now approaching pristine spring plumage at the top end of the scrape field. A flock of 10 Magpies. 7 Moorhens. Green woodpecker and a distant GSW. Then a few Rooks over on their way to roost. Rooks are scarce in this immediate area, and were new for my site list for this year, which now stands at 44.

No comments:

Great Grey Shrike

Nine years ago when I gave up working I went to see a Great Grey Shrike at Grimes Graves. It was easy to find, showed well, all round very ...