Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2008 and Counting

I haven’t kept a list for years. I’d started watching for the list, and not for the joy of watching birds, so I stopped and started looking at the birds again.

I thought this year I might keep one. Or a couple. Year list, local Sawbridgeworth area, Weymouth area, and one specifically for birds just south of Sawbridgeworth in the SLRS area., so that’s four.

And I found the discipline of counting birds on the BTO survey useful; just that extra check to make sure everything’s been recorded often turns up something unexpected. So I’ll be doing more totals this year.


Start off with a Harlow Town Park in the gloom. Goldfinch 25, Siskin c10 roosting, GSW 1, Long-Tailed Tit 2, Chaffinch 1, Magpie 4, Blackbird “a few”, and many gulls over SW towards the Lee Valley Reservoirs included 1 Common Gull, 2 LBB, 1 Herring Gull.

No comments:

Great Grey Shrike

Nine years ago when I gave up working I went to see a Great Grey Shrike at Grimes Graves. It was easy to find, showed well, all round very ...