Sunday, November 04, 2007

Hatfield Forest & SLRS







First up this morning I did my family duty and took D#3 and D#4 to Hatfield Forest for a constitutional walk. I got my reward in a spooky kind of way that makes you think there might be a God and “Most Haunted” might not be complete nonsense. I saw a couple of Goldcrests in bushes at the bottom of the lake (Shell House end) and was thinking thought what would be really nice now is a Firecrest, when I got onto a Goldcrest with a white supercilium. Hang on! white super, black stripe above it, Bronze sheen on the wings, IT’S A FIRECREST! IT’S A FIRECREST! It flitted around for thirty second or so and then went off. Fantastic.

Nothing could match up to that, but Siskins, Kingfisher in the middle of the lake, Nuthatch over and various finches and peckers and plenty of Redwings made for a terrific day, particularly as the Forest is now looking fabulous in its vivid Autumn colours.


Then in the afternoon back to SLRS with a camera for some more autumn colours. Just 70 Lapwing, 16 Snipe, 2 Common Gull, 16 BHG, 6 Long-tailed Tits. Standing on the opposite bank seems to mean the birds aren’t bothered and are happy to come out in the open. The views are too distant for photography, but still excellent through the scope. Okay it isn’t Minsmere, but I cannot think of a better way of spending time than watching SLRS, with the odd narrow boat drifting by, and some chat with the local dog walkers.



No comments:

Great Grey Shrike

Nine years ago when I gave up working I went to see a Great Grey Shrike at Grimes Graves. It was easy to find, showed well, all round very ...